10 August 2011

Mum's the word


I made it to Church today (!). Actually, someone on the subway said “hello” to me--the first time I’d been approached. He asked me where I was headed, and because I didn’t feel like revealing too much, I just told him my stop. When he found out the that I wasn’t a teacher, he asked me why I was dressed so formally. Hesitantly, I responded that I was headed to church, and then upon further pressing I told him that I was Mormon. However, when he asked what my beliefs were I just had to say “Christian.” The government allows religious freedom, but members of the Church aren’t allowed to actively or passively proselytize. At this point, I was pretty convinced that he wasn’t a spy sent to discover conspicuous missionary work but just that he wanted to practice English/talk to a foreigner. Anyway, he asked for my email address and said that maybe sometime meet at a cafe/bookstore and read books/drink (well I did tell him that I didn’t drink alcohol). *shrug*

In the evening I stopped by lab and--sure enough--Kai and Jie were there. I stayed and chatted for a bit. We got on the subject of how annoying the Great Firewall is and I said in exasperation, “well, when you guys grow up you can join the government and take down the Great Firewall.” lab mate responded, “Well of course, but that’s exactly why we can never be in the government.” Well put.

No comments:

Post a Comment