18 August 2011

How do you say "grudge" in Chinese?


I probably noticed the channel in the false ceiling after my first shower. Toweling off, I glanced up and saw an 18”x18” hole to allow access to pipes. Three slats provided a cover for the hole, but the center slat looked off… It’d been lifted up and rotated a bit so that large slivers of darkness were visible.

chilling, isn't it?

“Wow, that’s kinda creepy,” I thought to myself. But, not wanting to freak myself out (remember when I lived alone for 6 mo in that old house in Hillsboro? I’m really good at psyching myself out. And/or experiencing genuine paranormal activity), I just dismissed it and figured that whoever had most recently checked out the pipes just didn’t take the time to replace the covers correctly. I didn’t even think about how it there could be cameras up there. I mean, I couldn’t even see the reflection from a lens, so there was no need for it to even cross my mind.

Well, yesterday morning I finally got on a chair and slid the panel over, careful to not expose any fingertips that could be sliced or bitten by a hiding monster. Problem solved.

When I returned that night, the slat had moved again. I quickly fixed it after brushing teeth and locked my bedroom door before sleeping.

This morning, it’d moved. Then I moved it back, noticing a slight breeze as a replaced it.

Finally, this evening when I came home, it’d moved a third time. And there was a long black hair hanging from it.

Side note: I don’t lurve scary movies, but sometimes they’re fun to watch. However, I’ll usually only watch the movies with totally unbelievable plots, like where monster girls crawl out of TVs. After all, that’s much less likely to happen than the real-life murder stories.

This is when having watched something like, oh I don’t know, how about The Grudge is bad. Why?
a) People get sucked into dark recesses and mauled.
b) Long black hairs appear places and attack (I know, it sounds ridiculous, right?).
c) The story takes place in Asia.

The last isn’t inherently bad, except when I’m living in China and the first two items occur.

But with Tanu’s emotional support (Tanu arrived today! hooray!), I replaced the slat and then thought to myself like a rational scientist/engineer, “what could cause a lightweight piece of plastic flip around?…. how about a pressure differential?!” Tanu stayed in the bathroom while I went around slamming doors, and sure enough, the front door creates a large enough gust of wind than the portal opened!

Case closed. I feel like such a grownup.

But I still haven’t solved the mystery of the long black hair….

1 comment:

  1. Maybe someone else is using your shower when you are away :)

    ReplyDelete