06 September 2011

Train travel in China

I have been on enough trains in India, and I don't particularly enjoy Indian trains.
Suffice to say, I wasn't sure what to expect on my first train ride in China - from Beijing to Xi'an overnight.

We had a Chinese friend who was going with us. He succeeded in getting us soft-sleeper tickets (these are the luxury seats) from a scalper when all the tickets were officially sold out. The tickets cost about $80 one way (ticket is $60 and scalper charge $20). Kristin, Warren and I met up with our friend and we were taking the bus to the railway station. Our train was at 8:50pm and we ended up getting off the bus at 8:00pm. In my Indian head, I was thinking, meh we have time to kill. But I was wrong. I underestimated the train system in China. We found out that we may actually be late and that we need to run (and by run I mean really, RUN) to get our train.

So we have a Chinese guy running followed by two white people and one Indian girl. It must have looked quite entertaining to the other passengers. We did have difficulty running though - 1. The place is huge 2. It is crowded 3. You may encounter people throwing up in the middle of your path as you run. So we break into a run, with all of our luggage. The security is a joke. You thrown your bags in a pile of bags which goes through an archaic scanner and then you fight with the mob as you try to retrieve your bag from the pile on the other end of the scanner. (I am sure you can carry a Samurai sword and no one would notice)


Fig 1 - When Warren punched
 someone in his way (not)
As you may know by now, spitting is pretty common in China. So we weren't too surprised that when we were running we saw a girl spitting. We thought she would move. But then she wasn't spitting anymore, she was puking in the middle of the path at the railway station. Warren and I had to rapidly change course to not get that stuff on us. In the process, I am sure I hit someone square in the shoulder with my camera bag. Thankfully, bumping and shoving is completely acceptable in China and I did not get cussed out in Mandarin (or maybe I did and I did not understand any of it). Then due to the crowd and me not being a runner, I lost my friends. However, for once my cell phone had signal and I got to the right gate. Sweaty, tired, some people bearing battle scars (Fig 1) and out of breath we got to the train with 15 minutes to spare. It was the perfect amount of time to buy some over priced Ramen and use hot water to make it in the train. Kristin also found some vegetarian ramen while Warren experimented with some spam sausage thing that officially tasted disgusting (Fig 2).

Fig 2- a. Disgusting spam b. Delicious ramen
Also, the Beijing train station was clean. No yelling hawkers or sleeping people on the platforms (that is my image of train stations from India). The train itself was NICE (not the bathrooms as much, but still pretty good). We had a 4 person compartment all to ourselves. There were TVs in there which did not work, but hey, they were there ! We also got slippers to wear inside. There was a whole area to store your bags overhead. They provided linen, bedding and also took out the trash for you. And free hot water ! At the end we were pretty impressed with our tickets and enjoyed our camp in the train (Fig 3).  They do have lights go out at 10pm and you can't do anything else. You have to go to bed, when they tell you to go to bed it seems. Not that we complained, we were exhausted. We got to Xi'an at 9 the next morning. (The train journey back from Xi'an will be another blog entry!)

Fig 3 - China soft sleeper train = Win
For anyone who plans to travel on a train in China - it is VITAL that you keep your ticket on you all the time. They check it when you board, then they take it at night and give you a plastic card , then the next morning they take the plastic card and give your ticket back and last, you have to show your ticket as you exit at your station. I think I was so shocked by the whole checking ticket situation, that I saved my ticket and also ended up washing it when I did laundry. It's now just a blob of paper.


8 comments:

  1. Tanushree - I like your blog. Your way of presentation is excellent. Ghote Papa

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice !! i can imagine u guys running , bangging on other ppl and thinking if you had superpower to fly !! :-P haha :D nice blog !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how the "overpriced" ramen was still like less than a dollar...miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was the samurai sword an intended Gatech reference :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha...i guess we can start funny serial on ur china stay !!! enjoy buddy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thnx ppl.
    Kristin - You should totally come back. We miss you too.
    Mithun - Maybe :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers!
    Great post! Very informative.
    Thanks for possibility to write on your website,
    it's great!
    I’m still hoping there will be more posts on this site.
    Thanks a lot!

    train travel to us

    ReplyDelete