29 September 2011

Portraits of a hutong

Last weekend I visited Shique Hutong to try my hand at portrait photography. In case you don't know what a hutong is or how to wikipedia, it is a traditional community (especially in Beijing) characterized by winding, narrow streets and small communes where extended families would live. At least, that's my definition. They're where you can go to find pre-skyscraper Beijing, but they're becoming endangered as they're torn down in the name of modernization. However, there's also a movement to commercialize them for tourists and also the renovate parts with swanky new clubs, artsy spots, etc.

Anyway, I spent a few hours taking shots, practicing how to ask for permission to take photos, and looking not-at-all creepy. Here are a few of my favorites:







No comments:

Post a Comment