30 December 2011

A Hong Kong Holiday: Part 2

It's not uncommon to see "mature adult" Chinese out walking in the morning, or doing tai chi, or other forms of non-strenuous exercises like where they slap their legs and jiggle their arms around. So to start our day out right, we visited Hong Kong Park on Cotton Tree Dr.

We made a friend right away.
Well good day to you, too, Mr. Tony McTuppence!
And then we were reminded of two of the reasons why we love Hong Kong:
even the computer is smiling!
free potable water from a water fountain!

I hadn't thought of it much, but I rarely see water fountains in mainland China. Lapping from a drinking fountain took a lil getting used to.

Then we ran into a wedding party and found that some people don't know what's appropriate to wear to wedding photos.
I guess restrained yelling is the new smile? Well, at least they're happy, God love 'em.
We finally stumbled upon a small group of tai chi-ers moving soooo slowly.

Wait a sec.. if Kung Fu Panda has those animals (tiger, monkey, etc.) that inspired fighting styles, what animals inspire Tai Chi? slugs? sloths?

Okay, to be fair, I'll bet Tai Chi takes lots of concentration and control.

Then we found an aviary and took photos of birds like they were going extinct and we had the last two cameras on EARTH. Well, they're so colorful and potentially cuddly! Actually, I did have chickens growing up, and I do remember being able to pick them up and hug them. really. And they were kinda soft/squishy in that raw chicken breast sort of way. The ducks weren't as friendly, but we could catch Gus because he had the gimp leg. But it didn't really count as cuddling because you know that he was holding his breath and not hugging back.

BIRDS:


These guys had a yin-yang thing going on. Or love triangle.
wow that middle bird just became much creepier.
when I do the Velociraptor, I try to arch my back like this, but I just can't get it. This guy's a master.

Upon leaving the magical park, we found Man Ho Temple. This was really cool because people were actually using it. I mean, I think it's great to keep temples around for cultural heritage, but it was nice to see so many people actually exercising spirituality there.


and there was LOTS of incense. My eyes burned a lil.
coils of incense hanging from the ceiling.

burning coil of incense.

example of incense usage.
Also, one wall consisted of what looked like a bunch of drawers:

Anyone have any guesses as to the special purpose(s) of the drawers/wall?

No comments:

Post a Comment