28 December 2011

A Hong Kong Holiday: Part 1

A few months back, I decided that I would spend Christmas in China because I only get a few days off (no Christmas vacation in the PRC!) and because... well, I should try to see as much of China during my year here. But my favorite time of year is easily Christmas (my mom calls me "Mr. Christmas" and thinks I'm special), so I looked for a place that would be the most Christmas-y. Because Hong Kong was a British colony for some time, I figured that the Hong Kongers might have the most festivity. Tanu and I bought plane tickets and booked a room in a very sketchy guest house, and we were all set to enjoy this part of the world's take on the Holiday.

It was very interesting to see the Western influence on China. For example, breakfast wasn't restricted to noodles and baozi, but there were quite a few British-inspired dishes.








After breakfast, we ventured to Stanley peninsula to enjoy beaches! The weather was much warmer there than Beijing, but still jacket-worthy, especially with the humidity and breeze. But it was gwageous! Of course, just like food deprivation while backpacking can make even crackers the acme of deliciousness, living in a city lacking natural landscapes made Hong Kong, with its steep mountains and water features, even more beautiful.




actual footage from street in Hong Kong
We first noticed here a perk of visiting Hong Kong- free wifi in many public places! and not just free, but unrestricted wifi! That's right- I could access facebook without my VPN! simple pleasures, simple pleasures. I know it sounds silly, but the Western influence on Hong Kong's culture and architecture, coupled with little things like free wifi and the right to caricature leaders, gave Hong Kong and almost palpable feeling of freedom in the air (seriously, at one point we remarked that it even smelled like freedom). That's not to say that Beijing isn't a great city and place to live, but, well, some things are different from the way I've been conditioned. I'll just leave it at that.










Back to Stanley. With the waves crashing on the rocky shore, I couldn't help but re-create a Disney scene. And Tanu tried her hand at abstract modeling.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llkjacxRY91qgyxlto1_400.jpg


and then there was an ICE CREAM TRUCK. (yes, the ice cream tasted like freedom)
with red, white, and blue sprinkles!




Tanu and I enjoyed a few hours of meandering around the southern part of Hong Kong island. The area was very charming, with winding, narrow roads and a unique cross between British and Chinese influences. For example, we would see houses and storefronts that reminded me so much of establishments I'd seen in England, but then there'd be Chinese characters on mailboxes and signs. After checking out one of the 70 temples dedicated to the Queen of Heaven, we stumbled upon a sailing and Dragon Boat racing club. Before heading back to the northern part of the island.






















We couldn't seem to get our phone antennae hooked up to the service provider in Hong Kong, nor could we figure out the free wifi on the bus, so it took us longer than expected to get to the peak that overlooks Victoria Harbor. Following a short and chilly hike around the crown of the peak, we went to the top of a mall for a photo shoot! okay, it's totally cliche to take this photo, but how could I resist?

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you didn't take the train to the top of Victoria Peak. I mean, it is the steepest train in the world and it's a must. You feel like you are going to die the whole ride up, but it's worth the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Maren, I can't either! We were totally planning on it, but got disoriented at one point so it didn't make sense to take it up to the peak. And then at night the line was way too long and it was freeeezing out. I guess it gives me an excuse to go back. :D

    ReplyDelete