05 November 2011

erhu ready for your closeup?

Recently, I serendipitously discovered a local erhu teacher. Following a brief intro lesson, I decided to take several lessons. Lessons haven't begun yet because of National Holiday/parents visiting/lack of erhu. 

But the other day I ventured into a musical district in Beijing that was really interesting: after exiting the subway, I found a street lined with musical instrument shops. Each specialized in different types, such as brass, violins, drums, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, and traditional Chinese instruments. It was really quite a sight to see!

After a bit of inquiry from several shops to get a feel for prices and characteristics, I spoke with a shopkeeper through broken Chinese and English and explained my musical background and need in an erhu. I tried out few and settled on a beauty with a nice open tone. Of course I bargained a little, but held back in an attempt to keep it classy. 

When I took it back to lab, I played the Chinese National Anthem and song from Phantom of the Opera for lab mates. At first some didn't recognize their anthem, which could either because they didn't expect it from me or because of my lack of ability...

Anyway, here are a few photos:





No comments:

Post a Comment