09 November 2011

At least there are urinal barriers

I've thought about writing this post frequently. You ask, "How frequently?" Well, just about every time I use the restroom.

That's right, this is a bathroom post!

But don't worry, I'll keep it clean. Even though I've used many toilets ranging in sanitation level and primitiveness (and I have pictures to prove it), this will be SFW. And besides, I'm still gagging from the brain-eating incident.

On a side note, I used to ask for the bathroom by saying "xishouji"... which as it turns out is "wash the cell phone." The correct translation is "xishoujian." That explains the many puzzled looks.

Anyway.

I'm not a huge fan of "How I Met Your Mother", but Tanu had me watch one episode a while ago. In it, a couple gets locked in a bathroom and, well, eventually one has to "use the facilities." The other says with some solemnity that they've crossed a threshold. Now, growing up in a family of eight, I can say that my personal boundaries are probably smaller and less rigid when it comes to multiple-person use by both genders. So I don't think the scenario in HIMYM would bother me that much, but it does describe an underlying averseness that many Americans. That is, that boys and girls shouldn't be able to see into each others' bathrooms, especially while they're being used. To that end, we have elaborate mazes in the US at the entrance to bathrooms to prevent forbidden sight. It makes taking rolling luggage into airport bathrooms really difficult.

If the bathrooms in my building are any indication of widespread feelings on the subject, the Chinese don't have the same qualms.

How about a picture:
Oh! uh. heyyy....
Like I mentioned, I thought about this post very frequently.

The adjacent women's bathroom is no better:
oh yeah, they're eastern-style toilets. at least I'm staying flexible.

And the doors to the bathroom are often propped open for ventilation. 

Oh well. Like I said, it really doesn't bother me, especially if it doesn't bother them. But just like when you're camping and go off into the bushes to "see a man about a horse" while still visible to your friends, I half expect to hear someone jeer, "Hey Warren, what are you doing??"

No comments:

Post a Comment