06 February 2012

A Seoul-ful New Year: part 1

The semester at PKU ends just before Lunar New Year - it's like their Christmas/New Year holiday. This year Lunar New Year began in late January, and nearly everyone in China--including my lab mates--go home for the holiday (they say it's the largest annual mass migration) so I flew to South Korea to spend the holiday with cousin Breda! As children, we'd seen each other about once a year at Christmas, but that regularity ended with the death of our shared grandpappy in '98, so it was a fun, long-awaited reunion.

As might be expected with any other Asian country, there were many similarities between China and South Korea, but also quite a few differences due to several factors. I think I'll turn this into a brief foto gallery and fill in with commentary.


Structures had similar styles to Chinese counterparts, but often the colors were a bit more muted or "earthy." As an Oregonian, I can appreciate the organic approach.


Token shot juxtaposing the ancient with contemporary.

prepping a tree at a temple for Lunar New Year!


temple ceiling

We went to LotteWorld, which is Korea's version of Disneyland. fun and wild times were had by all.

oh yeah, I turned 28. nbd.

fiendfyre!


Inspired by Tanu's panda hat, I went on a cat-themed spree in Korea.

I do what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment